The 2011 Playbills have been announced, calendars have been released, and the debate among our English department has begun: what field trips, to which stage productions should we plan for the coming season?
Our debate has pointed out that the Shaw is slightly more expensive for the students, matinees at Soulpepper are rare, and Stratford’s musicals are a disgrace to our young fans of the Bard.
Still, with many wonderful options, the debate in the English office is upbeat, and the early leader-board of potential field trips resembles the following:
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Soulpepper
- Twelfth Night with Brian Dennehy as Sir Toby Belch and Ben Carlson as Feste
- The Grapes of Wrath with Evan Buliung as Tom Joad
- Titus Andronicus with Donaldson’s return to Stratford’s stage (even if it is in the Tom Patterson)
- The Merry Wives of Windsor with Tom Rooney as Ford and Geraint Wyn Davies as Falstaff
We need to decide soon. Students intercept me in the halls everyday: “Mr. W! When’s the Stratford trip? I’m definitely going this year!”
Image by Bobolink